Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rubik's Cube

I have a new addiction. It is the Rubik's Cube.

My officemate, Rachel, spent some time a couple years ago recovering form a surgery, and in that time, she learned how to solve the Rubik's Cube. After a quick lesson and some tips on how to solve the first face, I was hooked.

I bought my own cube last week, and have dedicated at least an hour or two a night to it. I spent my whole planning period Monday maneuvering tiny plastic blocks. Before this obsession, I liked to fancy that I had some semblence of spatial intelligence. I have quickly learned that I don't. At least not this kind.

Today, however, after several days of stuck-ness, I solved two layers of the cube. If you orient the cube so that the top is one color, then the top and middle layer are also solved. Life is sweet.

Only 25 more hours to go, I'm betting. On the bright side, I have a plane ride ahead of me on Friday.

1 comment:

Astra Libris said...

Wow, Becky, please post a photo of the cube when you've conquered it! I'm so excited! You'll be the first person I know who's solved the cube! Go Becky!

P.S. How absolutely awesome the you work at EB - how do you keep from spending your paycheck every week? :-) I love EB - I wouldn't have the necessary willpower... :-)